Whether it’s your home, an office, a shopping mall or a park, designing them requires a lot of planning and careful coordination among various elements. Some designs can focus on simple and modern forms while using environment-friendly elements, while some others can be grand in their scale and execution. However, it’s important for landscape architects to have deep understanding and responsiveness to client requirements, site conditions, and sensitivity towards the bond between natural and constructed surroundings. The goal for every urban landscape project is to balance design and pragmatism to get striking end results that engage the user.
Here are five contemporary design ideas for your home that give you an idea of what to look for when you take your pick:
- Rooftop decks: If your home enjoys the view of a lake or river, you can think of roof terraces to add charm to your space. If you want to create an oasis-style setting, you can use simple furniture and put greenery in planters to craft a relaxed, contemporary setting. This simple setting would go especially well if your river/lake views are flanked by an urban landscape. In case you have a limited space available to work with, opting for a crisp linear design will help you make the most of it.
- Backyard with open terrace: This space can be put to use in different ways. If you have a lot of space to play with, you can get a pool or some other water feature installed, along with some big trees and native garden plantings. If you decide to have a pool or pond, the reflection of the sky and the trees will provide you with a quiet, contemplative feel. In case your living rooms open up onto the terrace, you can use the backyard as an extension for your indoor and outdoor activities. Having an open seating arrangement with garden umbrellas, tables, etc. can help you create a lovely and functional dining terrace.
- Layered garden: People in the city often dream of having a green patch of their own but have to forego it due to space constraints. However, a layered garden can give the users a visibly sustainable and stylish garden to enjoy. If you too have always wanted a garden, albeit small in size, to relax and feel close to nature, you can ask your landscape professional to design one for your home. By layering elements, repeating materials and patterns, your landscape architect can create depth of field. This (the sculptural and constructed elements) can then be contrasted with planted elements to offer the onlooker a strong visual focus.
- Outdoor fireplace: Whether you want a cozy nook in your garden to enjoy a quiet meal with family and friends, read a book, or simply laze around, having a fireplace installed would be a good way to jazz up the place. It could be a lone focal feature or a part of your outdoor kitchen area. Depending on the overall theme of your place, you can ask your landscaping professional to design it so that it blends well with the entire setting.
- Party zone: Though you can always convert your backyard or patio to organize a party, it pays to have a dedicated party zone if you love to entertain often. You can use the rear of your property to welcome guests and put built-in benches, garden chairs, etc. to create a comfortable seating arrangement. If you have a fire-pit, the seating arrangement can be done around it. Having some plants and fences around the edges will also be a good idea to preserve the privacy of your guests while giving them a sense of spaciousness at the same time.
You can get these and many more ideas from your landscape architect as a professional would know what suits your space the best. So, give your landscape a makeover with these tips to enjoy your own personal space to the optimum.